Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Sunday, June 18. 6:30-7:30pm. The first class of Entomology 126. I’m not sure if bugs are for me, but hey, that’s why I’m taking this class. Our instructor is Dr. R. Chris Stanton and our TA is Adrea Lovejoy. They both seem pretty cool. Dr. Stanton said we can call him Chris. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.

The class seems pretty straightforward. We are going to learn about insects in the western Lake Erie Region. We have three quizzes, an identification exam, and a written exam. Those combined is worth 40% of our grade. 5% is our participation/attitude and 5% is a casual presentation on an assigned insect. Mine’s the Mitchell’s Satyr. I have no idea what that is, but with the magic of the internet, I’ll guess I’ll find out. The big 50% of our grade is the insect collection. I’m not surprised that we have to do one, but we need 15 different orders and 60 different families! I don’t know if I can do that, but Chris said in past years, students had to collect 70 different families and they managed to do it. That made me feel a bit better. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to snag a mayfly. 59 families to go.
The one bad thing I have to say about this class is that we have class all day! Morning session starts at 8, the afternoon session starts at 1 and the evening session starts at 7:30. I know that this is a week long 3 credit hour college course, but the bird class I took last week didn’t have any night sessions. Oh well.

Sometime after class, I went behind Barney to watch the sunset. Adrea and another student was there. We talked and Adrea said that if you watch the sunset over water, you’ll see a flash of green light when the very top of the sun sinks from the horizon. It was too cloudy tonight to see it, but I’m going to take two more week long classes after this one. I’m bound to see a cloudless sunset. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home